Trace, Kinsey, and Kendall

Trace, Kinsey, and Kendall

Friday, June 18, 2010

Leaving Home

Kinsey and Trace were playing this morning when I heard something about 'leaving home'. Trace came in to tell me that Kinsey was leaving home, 'but she can't reach the garage door.' I asked him where she was going, and of course, Ella's. Being the good brother he is, he opened the garage door for her, and off she went. Barefooted. In her bathing suit. Carrying her special blanket.
At the end of the driveway he stopped her and they talked. He gave her his scooter to remember him by. As he was walking, head hanging, back to me, he started to cry and said, "I never thought I would see her actually leave home." So sweet.
That's her near the driveway across the street. She kept going to the next driveway down, which is about the distance of a small city block, then turned around and came home.
I asked her what this was all about and she said that she just wanted to spend a little time away from her family. "I was only wanting to stay at Ella's for a couple of days. Can you pack me a little suitcase?" That prompted Trace to hop on the scooter and head down the driveway. I thought he was just riding his scooter, but found out after he turned around and came back that he was running away, too.
This has started much earlier than I thought it would!

No comments:

Post a Comment